Members of the Society of Experiential Trance are required to complete a minimum of fifteen continuing education credits each year in order to maintain their membership and basic certifications (please note that specialist certifications need not be renewed and are valid as long as basic membership is active; if basic membership certification lapses, all other certifications expire). Those who wish to re-activate an expired membership must complete a minimum of twenty continuing education points (one year renewal only to re-establish active membership). Members who complete at least thirty continuing education credits within one year may renew their membership for a two-year period instead of the standard one-year renewal. Members who complete at least forty-five continuing education credits within one year receive an Honors Level Member designation for their next renewed membership period (one or two-years, depending upon their choice). Members who complete at least sixty-six continuing education credits each year for five consecutive years receive the Braid Order of Merit Award.
Continuing education credits can be gained through a variety of means ranging from attending various conventions, conferences, trainings from qualified instructors, gaining additional specialization certificates, attending webinars hosted by Brian David Phillips Waking Dreams Hypnosis or from other certified mentors, completing online training programs via the Waking Dreams Institute or the Centre for Universal Loving Tranceformation, authoring articles for the peer-reviewed membership newsletter or journal, presenting at an official Society conference or Chapter workshop, conducting a professional skills workshop for other members, teaching a seminar or workshop on hypnosis or trance related topics to members of the public, participating in one of the Society's theme-based Hypnotic Video Challenges or Hypnoduels, or other means.
Here are typical continuing education points possible from various activities or events (if in doubt whether an instructor is approved or if an event is appropriate, ask for confirmation with the Society before the event):
- gaining additional specialization certificates, any approved method (15 points per specialist certification)
- attending webinars hosted by Brian David Phillips Waking Dreams Hypnosis - see briandavidphillips.net/category/hypwebinar - or from other certified mentors (3 points per webinar; you must identify yourself as an SET member seeking continuing education credit to the webinar host at the time of the webinar, be sure to provide the host with your name and SET membership number)
- summarizing archive webinars hosted by Brian David Phillips Waking Dreams Hypnosis - see briandavidphillips.net/category/hypwebinar - or from other certified mentors - write an essay summarizing and responding to a webinar based upon the audio or video archive available (2 point per webinar - you may not count the same webinar more than once)
- attending live professional instructional seminar from SET-approved instructor (5 points per full day; 15 points with completed certification or specialist certification)
- attending free live instruction workshop from SET-approved instructor (3 points)
- completing and passing online training via approved programs from the Society of Experiential Trance Institutue via the extension program from the Brian David Phillips Institute such as those provided by Waking Dreams Hypnosis or the Centre for Universal Loving Tranceformation hosted by the Institute - see www.TranceSociety.org/institute.html (courses vary, typically 10 points per completed and passed online course; 15 points with certification or specialist certification when appropriate)
- attending official SET convention or conference – or other approved conferences such as HypnoThoughts Live (3 points per full day)
- attending official SET local chapter meeting (2 points)
- initial chartering of an official SET local chapter - contact the Society for approval - charter chapters must have a minimum of five certified members who live in the local area - chapters must meet a minimum of quarterly, most meet on a monthly, biweekly, or weekly basis (often serving as a skills practice groups or study or skill-enhancement support groups, often following the syllabus of an online course available from the Society or elsewhere); meeting attendance records and event calendars must be submitted to the Society and local membership minimum of at least five certified members must be maintained to sustain chartership with a minimum of at least four meetings within any year (while most chapters do meet more often than quarterly) - official chapters may opt to have information and contact details made available to members of the public in the area searching for chapters to join or members may opt for private chapter registration status (10 points to each charter member)
- authoring articles for the peer-reviewed membership journals (Journal of Experiential Trance or Journal of Erotic Trance) - see trancesociety.net/journal (3 points per accepted journal article)
- presenting at an official Society conference or Chapter workshop (3 points per presentation with at least fifteen attendees present)
- conducting a professional skills workshop for other members (2 points with at least fifteen attendees present)
- teaching a seminar or workshop on hypnosis or trance related topics to members of the public (3 points with at least twenty attendees present)
- participating in one of the Society's theme-based Hypnotic Video Challenges or Hypnoduels - see groups.yahoo.com/group/HypnosisTechniqueExchange (2 points)
- summarizing hypnosis training videos created by Brian David Phillips Waking Dreams Hypnosis - see http://briandavidphillips.net/store/store-dvt/ - or other certified mentor - write a detailed essay summarizing and responding to a video training based upon courses available for home study (2 points per video volume in the training program - ex. the Speed Hypnosis Techniques take-home program includes six video volumes in the package - you must summarize all video volumes for a particular course to receive credit and may not count the same piece in more than one CEU category)
- when a new member joins the Society and provides the name and membership number of a current member as a Certification Membership Referral, the current member may receive continuing education credit; instructors are not eligible for referral credits of this type and only one person may be named for each new membership - only applies to new memberships; not to renewals, lapsed memberships, or specialist certifications (3 points per membership referral)
- completing full year program or extension courses with Hypnosis Practitioner Training Institute with a passing grade - see hypnosistraininginstitute.org (45 points for full year program qualifying for Honors Level Membership for the renewal period; extension courses vary)
This is an example list. Other training and community based activities can also be used for continuing education unit credit. Simply contact the Society via email for approval prior to the event (not all outside activities are eligible so be certain to gain prior-approval before making plans.
Please verify points with the appropriate instructor or representative at the time of the event. If in doubt, ask the SET. At certification renewal time, please list all appropriate points with verification information and dates and submit to the Society via email along with appropriate renewal fees for vetting.
The Society of Experiential Trance prizes inclusive open community development and so members are strongly encouraged to participate in the various appropriate online discussion forums as well as to form local Chapters of members to meet regularly. The Society strongly encourages members to host regular chapter meetings or events as open to the public when it is possible. While local Chapter practice group members are encouraged to become members in the Society, they should not be considered required to do so.
Members may contact us for more information.
Society of Experiential Trance : Main Page